Saturday, April 25, 2015

Hollow ring project

Been working on our last project. I started out with a lot of sketches and designs, this project was particularly hard to figure out what I wanted to do. Not sure why, but maybe its because I am rather uninterested in big rings.

I finally came up a design I like. Its a bit simplistic, but I think it is interesting enough and will certainly be a challenge, especially with the amount of time we have to work. 
From here I made a paper model of what I wanted.








I dont know if I would wear this regularly... but I suppose that is the hollow ring style for you. From here I made the ring out of copper. I had to get my ring size and carefully measure and cut it, then bend the ends together and solder it. Turned out pretty well. 


From here I also had to do the same process for a brass ring and shaped it into the form I wanted the ring to be in, then solder it closed. Because I want to have holes in my plates, I could close the brass ring. Once I had these two, I soldered them onto my copper plate. This proved difficult (as always with soldering). Thankfully, Justine helped me solder this together by adding another touch to the bottom, increasing the heat and the solder finally melted in place, though it took a few tries. She also gave me some good tips for soldering!


Big dipper constellation from behind



I am thinking of doing some salt etching to the copper plates, because I think it looks a bit simple as it is now. I am not sure though, because I cant think of something that will go with my design. I also cant do anything else until monday when we have saw blades to work with. Hope I will have enough time to finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment